Sunday, July 15, 2007

There is a simple explanation

Today I went to an American University thing at Suntec, where all these American universities came to give us reasons why we should go to said American Universities. The people who were offering pitches were all students currently studying at the universities and suitably enough they were all Asian and probably Singaporean. The universities that impressed me the most were Berkeley and Columbia where the students actually actively came forward to talk to me, however all this impressedness would do me very little if I did not actually have to ability to convert such enthusiasm to an acceptance letter. My results are simply not good enough to gain me entrance to the schools that I really would have liked to go to. Naturally having my flaming friend around me did little to help if only providing much entertainment to those present.

To my dear friend Mr X, whose obstinacy about going to a certain Ivy Leaguer is well renown. I’m afraid I cannot help but take a nice healthy arrogant French-style sniff at you. There should not and cannot be any way of guaranteeing that you will in fact gain entry to Brown. Your idealism while touching should not lead to such foolishness where you end up not applying to any other universities. Just because it is not in fact an Ivy or located in Providence, Rhode Island is not an indication of how good or bad a university is. One must keep one’s options open, something which I hope you are doing.

To my other dear friend Daniel, with regards to your wanting me to stay in Singapore. Somehow, I don’t think that is going to happen. Not to throw hot water all over you but unless I was offered a scholarship at NUS Law with no bond or something there is very little that would induce me to stay here. This is not due to Singaporean lack of educational expertise, etc. But more to do with the more varied choices available out of the country, and the simple fact that its all about being independent and living by one’s self while out side of the country. I will however ensure that all is neatly wrapped up before I even consider leaving the country, and even if it means continuing my presence at Tech65 in kind or otherwise I will.

I have to mention something that has happened to me over the past few weeks, its been quite a amazing week for me really, I saw my Ex for what could be the last time, whether its for five months or for longer who knows but I realized something. I was wrong all along. It wasn’t so much I had been particularly a bad boyfriend, or that she was a particularly bad girlfriend, it was entirely to do with the fact that we traveled in different circles, and had our own obstinate ways of seeing the world, that though was not even that different, was different enough to matter. For what is life but the minor details.

I am frighteningly annoyed that I will be missing a whole HALF of King Effing Lear! I was at the Esp. Library today, and heard the producer eulogise about the delicious Ian Mckellen and the director Trevor Nunn. I’m thoroughly annoyed, and I think that might be the extent of the things I can say without violating some sort of secrecy laws.

No comments: