Sunday, March 11, 2007

Updates from All Over.

Somehow, it has been difficult for me to blog out for the past few days. Weeks even. Its almost as if there is a disconnect, between the writer me, and the me that makes decisions. Its almost painful for me, to be away from my writing for so long. I will attempt to make intelligent writings here for the public to appreciate here...

Kudos to Wan Jin, JHKL and Sandy for constantly checking back to my blog. And giving me a reason to go on writing. If not for you girls, I may be losing my ability to write coherently and consistently.

They say that NS kills off your brain cells, I am now certain it is true. I'm pretty sure that if I didn't continue studying or reading in anyway, I'd be completely be unable to keep up with coursework during Uni. I'm thinking of taking a course at APMI Kaplan in Starhub centre. Specifically the Creative Writing one. Will go find some material about it...

Its so expensive to do a SAT prep course. As in a REAL prep course. Prinston Rev. has a 699, 399 and 99 usd bunch. The 99 one is hardly different from the one offered on the College Board site. But the 399 one actually looks pretty good. Hmm.. will see how it goes.

Lets see, I'm planning on visiting the SMU, and NUS campuses tomorrow. NUS one is the one near my house, and SMU is in town. And then maybe go to the IT show later on. I'll see how my day goes...

Shoutout to Jocelyn. Who really is taking incredible care of me... even though its over the Internet. but somehow it feels good to have someone mother you. However virtual that mothering really is.

For those of you who haven't already noticed, American television is actually getting smarter. Examples of which include Studio 60, 30 Rock, Grey's Anatomy, House, and to a smaller extent Desperate Housewives and Lost. People on those shows actually act in a way that normal people should act, and don't have ridiculous back stories like oh I don't know Chinese-Singaporean Harvard MBA scholar, looking for a companion and MIRACULOUSLY falls in love with some SURPRISE small town girl, WHO IS invariably the same stereotypically sassy girl with an attitude. and makes him wanna chase her to the end of the world. There is possibly the evil villian, who is pure evil and makes the girl feel like down right poo and naturally the MBA dude will win the day coz HEY a Masters in Biz Admin will get you any/everything!

And when its not stereotypically the same storyline, its an import, like how many Ugly Betty rip offs, and how many conversions of Jap/Korean concepts have there been already. Sigh.

Is it because there's a lack of something or other. I don't think so, there seem to be plenty of innovative and intelligent people in Singapore. I just cannot wrap my head around it. People seem to love criticizing the Singaporean TV scene, but the question I wanna ask is, Why shouldn't it already be better? The talent IS available, I mean we have Hossan Leong, we have Gurmit, *although he does have his cornier moments*, and PLENTY of theatre folk to choose from. Why isn't the Singapore TV scene any better. Where's the Channel 8 equivalent of the OC? Where is the Singapore created game show, that's locally conceptualised and actually good to watch? The recent The Arena in Singapore's Channel 5 is an example of a truly good piece of programming, though Mr Adrian Pang does need to work on his mildly affected speaking manner, not to say that I'm NOT affected in the way I speak, I just think its a distraction and we already have enough of those secondary students trying to be CNN Newsreaders thank you very much.

Mr. Ps visit to Singapore was truly WhirlWind. But I'm glad we did manage to catch up and have a burnt spaghetti... I'm glad he's coming to visit again! Hehe get to bask in the light of intelligent conversation.

I must introduce the two shining lights of fabulousness to my dear Mr P. I'm sure they'll love him and vice versa.

Alors, I think I will end this post here. Hope I get to go to the IT show tmr!!!

No comments: